Thursday, March 11, 2010

Time Traveler's Wife








The Time Traveler's Wife By Audrey Niffenegger







For me this was a book that I would not have picked up on my own. I did not know about this book until it became the very first choice for August for the group Blogger's Unite Book Club.

This is not the sort of book I am used to reading. The journal style left me confused more than once. And the time traveling back and forth had me more than once looking back to try to keep track of the story. Again I think that it was just because I had never read a book written in journal style. As I kept reading I found I had gotten used to the author's style for this book.

I liked that the author let us see the characters with all their rough edges. Some of the characters I wished she had done more with such as Ben and Richard. and some I could have done with a little less with such as Gomez and Ingrid.

About three fourths of the way into the book Clare began to get on my nerves. By the end of the book I had found some compassion for her. I liked Henry from the start. I did not like some of the situations that the author put him in. But I guess changing those situations would have taken away from the story.

This is the only book that has ever made me cry at the end. I will probably never read it again. One go around is it for me. The highs and lows I went through. The tissue! And through it all I decided it was a keeper.


This was my review in August of 2009. While I was reading The Time Traveler's Wife the movie came out. I passed on going to see it. I resisted until it came out on DVD. I rented it!! I was excited until I remembered the books ending..... I felt that the movie left out important details that are revealed in the book and glossed over others. It seemed like it was over before it began. While the movie version may not have been my cup of tea the book as it turned out was.

3 comments:

  1. What a great review, Joni! :-)

    This book made me cry too and I wasn't very keen on Clare either...she was really cold sometimes.

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Callista... Thank you for passing the award to me. Wow!!... I'm still in shock.

    Bobbie... Thank You. It means the world to me that you liked my review.

    ReplyDelete